The Patient Advice and Liaison Service is for patients, their relatives, friends, carers and visitors of the local hospitals. PALS provides confidential, free advice and support and is independent to wards and departments in the Hospital Trusts.
- Advise and support patients, their families and carers.
- Provide information on the NHS services.
- Listen to and respond to your concerns, suggestions or queries.
- Influence changes in the service.
Services offered by PALS include:
- Ward and telephone consultation to address any queries.
- Collecting and responding to comments posted in the hospital comments boxes.
- Trouble shooting to provide early resolutions to problems and concerns.
- Seeking out the views of patients by visiting different departments, for e.g. the Emergency Department and Outpatients.
- Supporting patients’ rights.
- Providing information and support to access other information including the NHS complaints procedure.
- Providing information and signposting to independent/specialist advocacy services/support groups.
- Providing information about any aspect of the Trust’s services.
- Liaison between professionals for patients.
- Auditing comments to pick up trends and influence changes required to make improvements.
- Supporting patients and public involvement in care.
- Raising staff awareness of public concerns and issues.