9:00am 30 January 2020 PPG Meeting

PRESENT:

Surgery:

    • Dr. Neil Simpson – GP Partner
    • Jo Roberts – Practice Manager
    • Tim Wheeler – Deputy Practice Manager

CCG – PPG Coordinator:

    • Jim Gammans

Patient Representatives:

    • Beryl Andrews
    • Colin Brock
    • John Reid
    • Kevin Moloney
    • Rita Gibbor
    • Ann Early

APOLOGIES:

    • 2 were received.

MINUTES OF LAST MEETING:

    • The minutes of the 30th July were accepted.

MATTERS ARISING:

Beryl Andrews agreed to contact the various associations regarding information on Colon-Rectal support for the surgery. Information leaflets to be sent to Jo Roberts for the practice.

Action: BA

Dr. Simpson updated us regarding Autism that the local Learning Disability ream would be doing a walkthrough.

Action: Surgery

A notice is to be placed in reception to advise that blood tests are now carried out at the surgery instead of the hospital. Action: Surgery

PPG STRUCTURE AND MEETING FORMAT

It was agreed that meetings be held quarterly on the 3rd Tuesday of the month at 5.00 pm in the GP Meeting Room. The following dates were agreed: 21st April, 21st July, 20th October, 19th January 2021 (not 19th February as stated at the meeting). The aim of these dates being agreed sufficiently far in advance is to avoid as much as possible meetings being cancelled.

The Chairman, Vice Chairman and Secretary were due to be elected to serve initially for one year. The following were elected unanimously:

    • Colin Brock – Chairman
    • AnnEarly – Vice Chairman
    • Beryl Andrews – Secretary

TERMS OF REFERENCE

It was agreed that Colin Brock would circulate these to all members for comment before formalising them.

Action: CB / All

However, two points were agreed:

    • Minutes would be issued within two weeks of the meeting (to assist members required to carry out actions)
    • Draft agendas would be issued to all for input within two weeks of the following meeting.

PATIENT SURVEY

The group discussed drafting a questionnaire to obtain qualitative rather than quantitive feedback from patients. Jo Roberts reported that the NHS Survey had just been issued and the Friends and Family Survey was not always successful in terms of the number of responses. It would be helpful to know where a patient was not happy and why, in order to improve the service. Beryl Andrews passed to the chair an NHS Guidance Note on writing questionnaires and an attached list of sample questions. This was passed to Jim Gammans for reference and Jim kindly offered help to develop the survey including passing on any information which exists already. Kevin Maloney kindly agreed to take on this task, liaising with Jo Roberts and Colin Brock.

Action: KM / CB / Surgery / CCG

PATIENT INFORMATION

This was looked at in depth and various suggestions were put forward:

      • Jo Roberts handed out a pocket leaflet on PPG’s produced by Dorset CCG and a poster which was welcomed as a way of communicating the PPG to patients.
      • Patient information contained on the website needs to be reviewed to check that changes in surgery hours and Electronic Prescriptions and other essential information can be easily identified and downloaded as a hard copy for the notice board. Jo Roberts believed that this information was contained on the website and the Patient Practice Leaflet which had been updated in January 2020. However, Jo agreed to issue the Patient Practice Leaflet and the Patient Leaflet on Repeat prescribing for comment by all.

Action: Surgery / All

    • It was agreed to reduce clutter on the noticeboard. It was suggested that some notices could be put in a folder (similar to that used in libraries) mounted on the central column of the waiting area. This would be easier for patients to view. Rita Gibbor kindly agreed to take on this task as a monthly check with Jo Roberts.

Action: RG / Surgery

PARKING ISSUES

The lack of spaces has become a major problem since the office at the back of the surgeries has become occupied with sometimes up to 20 people using surgery spaces. Jo Roberts agreed to write to the landlord requesting employees park on the road. The cost of painting notices on the tarmac is prohibitive. It was agreed that the surgery would find out the costs of erecting three noticeboards (one per bay).

Action: Surgery

SURGERY UPDATE

Dr. Simpson updated the group on several additions to the surgery services:

    • Physio, Chiropractice is now available once a week. This started 2 months ago. Appointments are booked a month in advance. This will reduce waiting times.
    • Health Care:- Life Style Wellbeing; Tracey Pike deals with Social Welfare Benefits; 3 social prescribers once a week; a social services line manager.
    • Frailty Service with 3 staff for those over 65.
    • Visiting Trainee GP’s called GP Registrars to assist our GP’s with home visits.
    • 2 Pharmacists assist with Medication Reviews.
    • New Partner started in June – Dr. Firas Rasool.
    • There is ongoing work with the Primary Care Network. There are approximately 50,000 patients from 5 surgeries in this area. Future plans are for paramedics to assist and for a replacement Nurse Practitioner.

A.O.B.

There being no other business, the meeting closed at 10.15 am.

D.O.N.M. Tuesday 21st April at 5.00 pm.

Skip to content